| || |
LONDON, February 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Hiscox provides top tips ahead of half term ski trips -
As some resorts report a bumper season and with many skiers still waiting for their trips to begin, specialist insurer Hiscox is offering tips on preparing for the slopes. Be it waterproofing your equipment, sustaining a fitness programme or reading up on safety - there are steps you can take to help protect yourself on your winter break. Â
Safety on the slopes
- Get the right gear - the weather can change in a moment and if you are not appropriately dressed you could be left out in the cold
- Protect your head - helmets can play an important role in preventing serious injury if you hit your head on the snow, a fixed object or another person
- Don't be tempted to skip professional instruction, learning the basics such as how to control your speed or how to stop are essential and bad habits learnt early on are difficult to change
- Give yourself a break - pushing yourself when you need a rest puts you at greater risk of injury
- Never ski or board off-piste alone
- When choosing equipment don't be tempted to overstate your level of skill - the longer the ski, the harder to turn and the faster you will go
- Ski or snowboard within your ability. Tagging along with more experienced friends and attempting slopes beyond your skill level can result in an accident Â
Choosing the right policy
- Check that your travel insurance policy covers all of your planned activities. Riskier winter sports such as ski /snowboard racing, jumping, acrobatics, aerials and other activities are sometimes excluded andÂ separate specialist cover may need to be added to the policy
- Winter sports cover is limited to a certain number of days - usually 21 days per year.Â If you're planning a longer holiday make sure you notify your insurer and look into purchasing extra cover
- If you are planning to ski off piste, check your insurance policy terms and conditions. Some policies will cover you within recognised ski resort boundaries as long as you follow local ski patrol guidelines; however, others policies will only cover you if you are with an authorised local guide and some will not allow off piste skiing at all
- Enjoy your holiday by drinking responsibly and remember that alcohol consumption can serious impact your ability and judgement and may invalidate your cover if you are injured
Notes to Editors:
- Hiscox launched a 5* rated annual travel insurance policy on 12 December 2011.
- The policy provides a choice of Europe or worldwide cover for individuals, couples and families.
- Customers are able to get a quote by visiting http://www.hiscox.co.uk/travel or by calling 0845-643-6046.
Hiscox, the international specialist insurer, is headquartered inÂ BermudaÂ and listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE:HSX). There are three main underwriting parts of the Group - Hiscox London Market, HiscoxÂ UKÂ andÂ EuropeÂ and Hiscox International. Hiscox London Market underwrites internationally traded business in the London Market - generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd's. Hiscox UK and Hiscox Europe offer a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals. Hiscox International includes operations in Bermuda, Guernsey andÂ USA. Hiscox Insurance Company Limited, Hiscox Underwriting Limited, Hiscox Europe Underwriting Limited and Hiscox Syndicates Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
For further information, visit http://www.hiscox.com
For further information please contact:
Johanna Boland, Group Communications, +44(0)207-448-6494,Â email@example.com
Saira Khan, CJP Communications, +44(0)207-074-1837, firstname.lastname@example.org